The provisional issue of the State Railway Code for Traffic Department (Commercial) originally published in April. 1939 was treated as a Guide and not as a Code.
2. Subsequently its revised publication embodying essential principles and policy directives issued by the Railway Board from time to time was brought out in 1961 and the provisions contained therein were mandatory.
3. Since then certain provisions of the existing Code have become obsolete while others needed revision, hence the need of present revised edition. In this revised edition obsolete provisions have been deleted and all modifications/ additions and other procedural changes effected since the last edition have been incorporated.
4. The provisions included in this revised edition are mandatory and supersede all the rules and orders contained in the 1961 edition to the extent these have been revised and incorporated herein.
5. As per the policy of the Govt. of India, this edition is being issued in DIGLOT.
6. Corrections to this Code Book, if and when found necessary will be issued serially numbered. The correction slips will be printed in Hindi and English both on one side of the paper, so that these may be cut and pasted at the appropriate place.
7. Suggestions for improvements to this Code including amendments and corrections or errors/omissions, if any, would be welcome and may be addressed through proper channel to the Secretary, Railway Board.
Secretary, Railway Board